First month report: my feelings about gsoc

Hi, I'm Davide and I'm 22.
I was born on May 17th so I'm considering being accepted by KDE as a little gift.
The first month is usually related to "Community Bonding". What does it mean?

First of all, I created this blog. Here I'll post updates about Chat Bridge (now renamed to Brooklyn) and myself.
Then, I retrieved my KDE Identity account. The main problem was that I had lost my username.
So I wrote to sysadmin@kde.org and five minutes after the username was no longer a problem.
Shortly after I've done a lot of stuff, but I don't want to bother my readers.

After this boring to-do list, I've contacted my mentor to keep him updated.
We decided to start the development of the application and we defined how the app configuration file should be.
It is obviously open-source, you can use it for your projects! For now, it works only on IRC/Telegram but it will support soon also Rocketchat.
It can only support plain text, but it's temporary, don't worry.

I'm planning (but I've not decided yet because of university exams) to go to Akademy 2017 with some guys at WikiToLearn.
I can't wait to start coding!

What do you think about this project?
Do you have plans to use it?
Don't be shy, write me everything you want!


External links:

Commenti

  1. Don't want to be rude, but are you going to repeat xkcd #927?
    What data model are you going to use?
    Are your telegram and irc and other protocols support will be full comparing to official clients or limited to text only? (I mean of course we could say it is up to community, but in terms of provided APIs)
    if I already have telegram account and irc, does it mean that if I join channels/groups, that are bridged, all the messages will be duplicated for me and my accounts will be separated as different persons?
    What did you say about analogues like matrix.org (riot.im)?

    Anyway, I just wanted to describe that it is a hard task for me, good luck to you sincerely, Davide! :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hi! I appreciate your comment.
      You're not rude, don't worry :P
      Sorry in advance for my English but I'm not native.

      "Don't want to be rude, but are you going to repeat xkcd #927?"
      No, I'm not.
      In fact, there isn't an open source alternative which is stable, it works and it's as modular as I want to be.
      There is so much work to do that rewrite 100-200 lines of code it's not a problem.

      "Are your telegram and irc and other protocols support will be full comparing to official clients or limited to text only?"
      For now it only supports text but it'll support everything else (audio, images, files, etc).
      If you open https://cgit.kde.org/scratch/davider/brooklyn.git/ you can see that I've just managed images telegram-to-telegram and right now I'm working to support IRC too.

      "if I already have telegram account and irc, does it mean that if I join channels/groups, that are bridged, all the messages will be duplicated for me and my accounts will be separated as different persons?"
      Well, if you are in the telegram channel and you're joining the IRC channel you're doing something wrong because with this bridge these two channels are bridged together and are "the same thing".
      It's like entering with two accounts in the same IRC channel.

      "What did you say about analogues like matrix.org (riot.im)?"
      There are no plans tu support matrix.org but it's opensource and if someone want to extend it to it, why not? :D

      Elimina

Posta un commento

Post popolari in questo blog

Brooklyn 0.1 is out there: full Telegram and IRC support

Stop writing code like we're in the '90s: a practical approach (PART I)